To assist those involved in selecting prospective staff for promotion to have a process which will help in reducing the possibility of promoting the wrong candidate.
- The “Four types of Jobs In The World”
- Which type best suits the role to be filled?
- Why is this critical to the outcomes of the area to be managed?
- Identifying which of the 4 does your candidate fit into and why this matters
- Why do some people excel in a senior role where others struggle?
- Defining the definition of success and it relevance to the offered role
- What was your selection criteria in the past?
- Did your outcomes and the candidate’s outcomes align?
- “Technical” vs “Non-Technical”
- Are they required to “Work in the Business” or “Work on the Business”?
- What is the difference and does it matter?
- Setting the percentage of “Working on the Business” vs “Working in the Business”
- The “Position Description” vs “Expected Outcomes”
- Does this meet the current situation of your business plan?
- How often should we review this description to ensure it meets the current business strategies?
- The 12 Core Competencies Required to be an Effective Leader
- Defining the 12 and why all of them are required
- What do you need to expect from each of these competencies?
- To promote immediately or introduce a KPI based progressive programme?
- The pros and cons of either process